• What is the Executive Office of the President?
• What are the duties of the White House Office and the National Security Council?
• What are the additional agencies in the Executive Office of the President that assist the President?
The Executive Office of the President
• The Executive Office of the President (theEOP) is an umbrella agency of separate agencies.
• The EOP serves as the President’s right arm, staffed by most of the President’s closest advisors and assistants.
• The EOP was established by Congress in 1939.
The White House Office
• The White House Office is comprised of the President’s key personal and political staff.
• Staff positions in the White House Office include chief of staff, assistants to the President, press secretary, the counsel to the President, and the President’s physician.
The National Security Council
• The National Security Council (NSC) acts to advise the President on all
domestic, foreign, and military matters that relate to the nation’s security.
• Members include the Vice President and the secretaries of state and
Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
• The OMB’s major task is the preparation of the federal budget, which the President must submit to Congress.
Office of National Drug Control Policy
• Established in 1989, this agency’s existence dramatizes the nation’s concern over drugs.
Council of Economic Advisers
• The Council of Economic Advisers consists of three of the country’s leading economists, and acts as the President’s major source of information and advice on the nation’s economy.
1. All of the following are correct about the Executive Office of the
President (the EOP) EXCEPT that the EOP
(a) is an umbrella agency consisting of several agencies.
(b) serves as the right arm to the President.
(c) acts as a body of equal power to the President.
(d) aids the President in his execution of federal power.
2. The National Security Council serves as
(a) the President’s advisory board on all matters of national security.
(b) a watchdog commission for the Central Intelligence Agency.
(c) the civilian command component of the military.
(d) none of the above.
Answers 1=C / 2=A
ick here to edit.