I. Defining and Identifying Psychological Disorders
A. Deviation From Normality
C. Psychological Health
"illness" vs. "disorder"
II. The Problem of Classification
(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 4th revision)
1. Used to classify current symptoms into explicitly defined
categories (see page 452)
2. Used to describe developmental disorders and long-
standing personality disorders or maladaptive traits
3. Used to describe physical disorders
4. A measurement of the current stress level at which the
person is functioning
5. Used to describe the highest level of adaptive functioning
present within the past year. (Adaptive functioning refers
to social relations, occupational functioning, and person's
use of leisure time.)
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of categorizing people by the DSM-IV?
2. Many people suffer from mild psychological disorders. When do you think it is necessary for a person to seek help?
3. Define psychological disorder.
4. Distinguish between the concepts of normality and abnormality.